Quality & safety assured; we only work in partnerships with accredited NHS and major private hospital chains

The Venefit procedure is performed as a medical necessity as diagnosed by a trained vein specialist. It is not designed to address spider veins or cosmetic issues. As with any medical procedure, you should consult your vein specialist and review all safety information associated with any procedure. Some of the common complications of the procedure also seen with endovenous laser therapy are described below



Nerve Injury

Numbness in small areas of the leg in the first week after the procedure is very common and not surprising considering the fact that local anaesthetic has been injected directly around the nerves and some heat will inevitably also be absorbed by them. This is not enough to permanently damage the nerve and sensation usually recovers completely within the first 2-3 months.

Permanent nerve injury is rare and usually causes numbness/pins and needles in the area above the ankle. This is more common the closer to then ankle the closurefast device is inserted.

Skin burns

Skin burns, are also rarely seen providing enough local anaesthetic has been given to completely surround the vein being treated.

Phlebitis

Phlebitis can occur with the Venefit procedure as in any keyhole treatment of varicose veins and it is usually the result of residual blood trapped within vein segments. It is occasionally seen as a tender and bruised area over the treated vein in the thigh. It usually gets better over several weeks without any treatment other than for symptomatic relief, eg, the use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory tablets taken orally or as a gel applied directly on the affected thigh, ice or heat packs, and compression stockings.

Tightening

Approximately 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure you may feel a curious sensation along the treated vein in the thigh. This is described as a persistent dull feeling, or tightness when stretching or extending the treated leg. This is due to a loss of elasticity in the treated vein and/or an inflammatory process, which occurs as the body begins to remove the sealed vein. The sensations usually disappear over the next few weeks.

Staining

Brown discoloration or staining of the skin following varicose vein treatment (hemosiderin staining) is uncommon. It can last any where from months to years until it spontaneously resolves. 90% of cases will normally resolve within 6 months and the other 10% within 1 year. Some cases may resolve after laser therapy to vaporize the iron pigment.